Digg Yahoo! Del.icio.us Facebook Reddit Drudge Google Fark Stumble It!
After poring over all of the candidates, here is my top 10 list for best indie (read: non-mainstream) albums of 2009. What were your favorites?
1. Girls, Album (True Panther Sounds)
SF duo creates unique sound mixing punk and art rock with Buddy Holly vocals. Note: Girls will play the Gargoyle Feb. 7.
2. Felice Brothers, Yonder Is The Clock (Team Love)
Upstate NY rovers capture the American condition with Dylan-inspired gem.
3. Heartless Bastards, The Mountain (Fat Possum)
Infectious, straight-shooting rock from Cincy/Austin quartet is anything but heartless.
4. Dan Auerbach, Keep It Hid (Nonesuch)
A solid solo outing from Black Keys singer/guitarist.
5. Blind Pilot, 3 Rounds and a Sound (ATO)
Exquisite debut from Portland indie folksters/cycling enthusiasts. For fans of the Shins.
6. Metric, Fantasies (Metric Music International)
More energizing rock from can’t miss Canadian quartet.
7. Silversun Pickups, Swoon (Dangerbird)
LA rockers churn out distorted goodness.
8. White Lies, To Lose My Life… (Geffen)
I’ll admit it, sugary Brit pop is a guilty pleasure.
9. Camera Obscura, My Maudlin Career (4AD)
Paste Magazine says it best: “Simultaneously sad and celebratory, and always charming.”
10. Asobi Seksu, Hush (Polyvinyl)
Engrossing dream pop a la Blonde Redhead. Note: Catch them Feb. 4 at the Old Rockhouse.