Sunday, April 19, 2009

Webster Hall 4-17 review


I don’t often review shows, but last night was amazing! It’s been just over a year since I first saw one of my favorite bands, The Felice Brothers, at The Echo in LA. After seeing them again briefly at Outside Lands in August, I had my third FB encounter last night at New York’s Webster Hall and I must say this band has reached mind-blowing levels on stage. Maybe it was the energy from playing in their home state, but last night these guys performed like super stars. Their intro brought all the band mates on stage one by one with a very cool instrumental building into their first number. This included brother Simone parading on stage whacking a massive bass drum which rattled the venue. The whole gang was on fire last night, trading instruments and time on the mic as they brought many of their hits to life in a refreshing new way. Occasionally they passed a bottle of whiskey amongst themselves to keep up the charm. I wish I had some pictures to share, but my iPhone would not do them justice. When the encore finished my mind was at ease, my ears were tingling and my arm was sore from hoisting my beer to every song at least five times as I sang along. Good job brothers Felice! Hope to see you again down the road.

Pete (Ears of the Beholder)